Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Crib Sheets

I packed up all of your crib sheets today, for you are officially in a "big boy bed" now.  I have mixed feelings about this, as I'm sure most moms do.  I'm excited that you're so excited about your "beeh-bed" (big bed).  I'm excited that we're finally able to use the new bedding that is simply *perfect* in your room (typical girl here, remember?).  I'm excited that you're growing and developing and communicating and changing.  Yet...I'm sad that you're growing and developing and changing.

I shed just a couple tears when you and Daddy took your crib down as I remembered the hectic day that it was set up.  I also remember the day we brought it home, when your cousin no longer needed it, and we knew we would...some day.  At the time, it seemed like that day would never come. Now here I am, and it's back in the basement, resting from the abuse it took after a fourth child has slept in it.

It's so hard to believe that two years of my life has passed.  I pointed out a blankie sitting on the edge of the couch last night and asked your Daddy if he remembered when we didn't have things like that laying around our house.  (Of course, he did.)  Recent circumstances with a sweet friend have me reflecting back to those painful years.  Our situations are totally different, but pain is pain, especially when it comes to motherhood, and my heart aches for her.  As I think back to my own pain during that season in my life, I now know that I would not trade even a minute of it, for without that season, I would not have you in my life.  No other little boy would ever have been able to fill the hole in my heart like you did.  I love you so much and I'm thankful that God made us your forever family!


2 comments:

  1. A whole in your heart...that is the perfect way to describe this feeling. Being a mommy with no baby has to be the worse feeling in the whole world. There is a void I cannot explain. Knowing that other people have been there, other people have had aching hearts and questions and things they dont understand....it helps me to know that I'm not alone, that someone else has felt this same pain.
    I know one day I'll be putting away crib sheets, and I'll be looking back on this circumstance and hopefully be able to see how God was working even through what is now a complete fog to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tears and tears and tears. what a miracle God did for you to bring that sweet little boy to your arms and make you a mama. i can't wait for His next miracle too when you'll use that crib again and wonder all over how time flies by before you blink.

    ReplyDelete