This moment, two years ago today, is one that I will never forget. This moment changed my life forever. This moment thrust everything I thought about my plans for my life out the window and caused me to look at things differently. This moment came with one simple phone call while I was at work. This moment I found out I had become a mom.
I love to think back about that day. Friday, January 4, 2008...around 1pm...I'd just gotten back from lunch and was going about my afternoon, thinking of the weekend. My phone rang and my world stopped. I remember trying to control my tears, frantically scribbling notes about everything our adoption coordinator was telling me. Someone stopped by for a meeting with my boss and looked at me to see if it was okay for them to go in. I didn't care. I tried to look as normal as possible and waved him in. I had more important things on my mind. After over five very painful years of longing...I had A SON!
I love so many things about the way this all came about, one of them being the fact that we have this incredible story to tell of God's faithfulness. It's reached people I don't even know, and that touches me even more. The other day I actually got a message from one of those people on "the Facebook" -- it's my really good friend's sister-in-law's mom (didya follow that one?!). For the sake of their privacy, I omitted their names:
Sarah,
You don't know me. I know who you are through my daughter and her sister-in-law. She was so excited for you and Lou when you got the news that God found the perfect son for your family! She shared your website with me at that time, so that I could see Josh's adorable photos...my daughter knows how I LOVE happy stories! :D
I woke up this morning thinking of your family. Since I don't even know you, I thought that maybe God was telling me to send you his love on the week of your anniversary of motherhood! Congratulations on your gorgeous little guy! He is soooo cute!
Wow. How unbelievably sweet. A total stranger, a person I will never meet, remembered me on "the week of my anniversary of motherhood". (I love how she put that.) What a neat little blessing from my Daddy -- His way of reminding me that He knows and He remembers. (I just had to stop writing for a while as I had another "moment"...God, You're incredible, and I'm sorry it sometimes takes a couple days for things like this to sink in.)
As I drift back into reality, this moment, that same little boy is waking up from his nap. I'm pretty sure I should go try to kiss him to death now and celebrate the fact that he is forever my son. Here's to many more "moments"!
Every time I think about you, and this journey to motherhood, i cry. Because God's love is so strong, that through You and Lou, people see it. Here's to way more of those moments!
ReplyDeletehow awesome!
ReplyDeletesarah, your lives are such testimonies to so many people! you are truly living in God's goodness!
Congratulations on the anniversary of your motherhood. I like that phrasing too. I get it.
ReplyDelete