Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Snuggles
You woke up from your nap yesterday, extremely crabby, and you let me snuggle you for what felt like an eternity. As I sat there on the couch holding you, kissing your head, and scratching your back, the memories all came flooding back as I began to think of all the times I've done this in the past. It was mostly when you were just an itty bitty, brand new baby. We did a lot of cuddling back then and I never wanted to let you out of my arms. I wanted to keep you safe and protected there forever, never letting you go. However, that focus must change (to some degree), for you are about to turn 3 on Sunday. My focus now is to hold you close when you need it, but also keep you at arm's length to let you grow, discover, try, and {sigh} even fail. We've had a difficult year together, me and you. Part of it is your strong personality and your age, but it's me too -- I've been "altered" by medications and pregnancy hormones for most of this year, and I know that I'm not "quite right" either. Still, you seem to love me just the same so I must be doing something right. It makes my heart hurt when you refuse your daddy and you call for me, but I must confess that deep down inside, it also makes me melt...every time. I'm not really ready to face the changing and growing you will do in the next year; to let go of my baby and to see the little boy that is before my eyes. So until Sunday, I'll just keep pretending.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment