Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Taken for Granted

It occurred to me last night that there are things in life that I take for granted.  Surprisingly, the biggest one is my son.  My husband and I had just gotten in bed after both checking on our son, sound asleep in his big boy bed.  We were talking about how much we love that little guy, when it hit me like a ton of bricks.  For someone who shed so many tears for so many years to become a mom...lately, I sure have not been acting like I appreciate this gift that's been given to me!  Sure, I can blame it on being sick for what feels like an eternity.  I can blame it on him being sick for a while, reoccurring ear infections, not sleeping well, or just "being 2".  I can say that my attitude isn't right because I haven't been working out, releasing those "happy endorphins" (as a wise woman once recommended to me...it's true!).  I can come up with a very long list, but the truth is, there is not ONE good excuse in this world.  This little boy was literally dropped into my arms from Heaven for me to love, teach, appreciate, mold, and send out to live his own life.  If someone gave you a precious gift, you wouldn't just carelessly toss it aside.  You'd put it in a place of honor; a place where it could not be damaged or broken.  You would take pride in caring for it.  It would give you joy when you looked at it, reminding you of how sweet the Giver was to think of you.  (For the record, I do not carelessly toss my son aside or put him in a place where he could be damaged or broken!)

Thank you, God for my gift.  Please help me to remember the path that led me here to him.  Even in my times of being "a mother of a strong 2 year old", help me to remember exactly what he means to me and how much I love him, even when he's screaming "NOOOOOOOOOO!" at me for the 968th time that hour.  For even then, he's still the best thing that has happened to us.

1 comment:

  1. Ah...the guilt. Bestowed by mothers and the litmus test to know you have arrived at motherhood.

    This is how you know you are...normal...experiencing life I guess. Everyone gets there. The point is to visit and not stay too long, you don't want to reside there...Then you would be taking everything God gave you for granted, but this is just normal life.

    I have been there and felt guilty for being there...you are never alone. :)

    ReplyDelete