Friday, December 11, 2009

Breath of Heaven

One of my favorite Christmas CD's of all time is Amy Grant's "Home for Christmas" album. I'm not a huge Amy Grant fan or anything, but if you do not own this CD, I highly recommend you consider it.  I was listening to "Breath of Heaven" for the um-teenth time and the lyrics really hit me this morning.  I don't know why, out of all the times I've heard this song, I never really went down this thought path that I did today.

The lyrics of this song are obviously not the "gospel truth".  We have no idea of knowing what Mary was truly thinking and feeling, other than what the Bible tells us in the book of Luke.  If you really stop and listen to (or read) the lyrics, I think you will also get an idea of what she might have felt during this time:

I have traveled many moonless nights,
Cold and weary with a babe inside,
And I wonder what I've done.
Holy father you have come,
And chosen me now to carry your son.

I am waiting in a silent prayer.
I am frightened by the load I bear.
In a world as cold as stone,
Must I walk this path alone?
Be with me now.
Be with me now.

Breath of heaven,
Hold me together,
Be forever near me,
Breath of heaven.
Breath of heaven,
Lighten my darkness,
Pour over me your holiness,
For you are holy.
Breath of heaven.

Do you wonder as you watch my face,
If a wiser one should have had my place,
But I offer all I am
For the mercy of your plan.
Help me be strong.
Help me be.
Help me.

Breath of heaven,
Hold me together,
Be forever near me,
Breath of heaven.
Breath of heaven,
Lighten my darkness,
Pour over me your holiness,
For you are holy.

Breath of heaven,
Hold me together,
Be forever near me,
Breath of heaven.
Breath of heaven,
Lighten my darkness,
Pour over me your holiness,
For you are holy.
Breath of heaven.
Breath of heaven.
Breath of heaven

She questioned.  She was tired.  She was waiting.  She was scared.  She wondered if she was worthy, if there was someone better.  Yet she willingly offered herself and her reputation to God.  Obviously, the writer of this song took some liberties, but I'm okay with that.  Because of those liberties, it made me truly stop and realize the depth of the sacrifice and commitment she made to God.

As a woman, it's made quite an impact on me today.  WOW, to be THAT willing.  Incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment