Monday, September 7, 2009

Are You Tough Enough?

Are you tough enough to be a mom?  I used to think I was, in my own strength, until last night.  Sure, we've dealt with things like skinned knees, ear infections, and breathing treatments...but last night brought on a new experience for me -- croup.  "Just a virus?"  Try...just something that creates horrible sounds coming out of such a little body, unnatural to humans, equivalent to a seal barking.  Just something that had me so worked up and kept me from falling asleep last night as I feared for the "what if's".  I instantly reverted back into a "new mom" and told Lou that if he hadn't been at home with me, I'd be sleeping on my boy's floor that night just to make sure he was still able to breathe.  Of course, I knew that was silly.  Of course, I eventually fell asleep.  But only after I gave it to God, pleading for Him to watch over my son as we slept. I was surprised by my reaction -- I'm not sure where it came from, as I'm typically more level-minded about things.

No surprise, God pulled through as He always does and I never even heard a peep all night long.  (Actually, we all slept in a bit this morning...I'd say He definitely had His hand on our house!)  So there you have it.  Turns out, I am tough enough to be a mom...but only because I have God to hold me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment